Overall, 2020 could see an estimated device market size of almost $600M, leading to approximately 580,000 x 6 wafers to be processed. Ramp-up will be quite impressive starting in 2016, at an estimated 80% CAGR through 2020, based upon a scenario where EV/HEV begins adopting GaN in 2018-2019.
The power supply/PFC segment will dominate the business from 2015-2018, ultimately representing 50% of device sales. At that point, automotive will then catch-up.In UPS applications, the medium-power segment is likely to be very much in line with the GaN value proposition, and savings at system level will be demonstrated. We think GaN technology could grab up to 15% of market share in this field by 2020.
Room for extra cost in motor drive applications is unlikely. Therefore, the incentives to implement new technologies such as GaN have to be serious and strong. Considering the possible improvement of conversion efficiency, and augmented by a predictable price parity with Si solutions by 2018, we expect GaN to start being implemented at a slow rate in motor control by 2015-2016, and reach around $45M in revenue by 2020.
The PV inverters segment has already adopted SiC technology, and products are now commercially available. It's possible that GaN could partially displace SiC thanks to better price positioning. However, now that SiC is in place, qualifying GaN may be more challenging.
This report illustrates the full coverage of GaN device market data, split by application and through 2020.
KEY FEATURES OF THE REPORT
- Focus on the entire value-chain,from substrate to device
- Coverage of all applications where GaN can play a role in consumer, telecom, automotive and industry segments: DC-DC converter (i.e. POL), PFC, EV/ HEV Inverter, EV/pHEV charger,EV/HEV DC-DC LV/HV, PV inverter, PV micro-inverter,Motor control, UPS, Audio, R&D and others
- Insights into manufacturing cost breakdown, comparing SJ MOSFET, SiC MOSFET, IGBT and GaN HEMT
- Analysis of recent moves in the GaN industry and a description of the business's potential evolution
- Comparison with previous reports: what we saw and what we missed
OBJECTIVES OF THE REPORT
- A complete analysis of the GaN device and substrate industry in the power electronics field, along with key market metrics.
- An analysis of company involvement and state-of-the-art technology.
- A benchmark of GaN technology vs. its main contenders: Si and SiC.
- An extensive review of GaN technology's manufacturing cost and key economics, offering the most complete view of the Power GaN industry available to-date.